Sunday, April 27, 2014

Cattle & A Bucket Calf

I spent Friday afternoon with some friends hauling hay, feeding cattle, and playing with a bucket calf. We had fun and I learned a few things! 

We had just started the feed truck and were on our way to get loaded, when the cattle all headed up to the feed bunks already waiting for us. 

The truck was loaded with straw, wet corn distillers (leftover ground corn from when beer is made (it makes the feed taste better!), chopped prairie hay, and some silage. I'm sure the cattle enjoy it! One of my favorite parts of feeding was the smell. I can't say I've ever smelled anything quite like it… I was told it was the silage and distillers; if it smells this good, I wonder what it tastes like?? (No, I'm not wanting a taste. Just curious!)

 These boys sure love their food! 


 After feeding a bit, I went and watched the little bucket calf, Buddy, be fed. Can you believe he was just born on Tuesday?? I fed him a bit, and of course, I came away from the pen looking like I had just drooled all over myself. (No, it wasn't me. The wet, white stuff was thanks to the calf!) 

Right before I left the pen, Buddy decided to make friends with Bella. She wasn't too interested!

Hope you're having a great weekend!
Ashleigh

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment as I love hearing from you guys! Please type nice, no rudeness or foul language, and no links.
Thanks!
Ashleigh