Friday, October 4, 2013

Summer Sausage - Phase 1

     For my family, having summer sausage in the freezer is almost as important as having canned green beans and tomatoes in the pantry. So I usually make a very large batch of this and then re-wrap it after cooking, before freezing. Like I said, this is a mammoth batch, so if you want to cut it down (it's been tripled) that's fine!

To get started:
6 pounds of ground meat (I use 3 lbs. beef and 3 lbs. deer)
1 1/2 cups water
6 T. Morton Tender Quick salt
4 1/2 t. liquid smoke
3 t. garlic salt
1 1/2 t. onion salt
1 1/2 t. pepper


Mix ground meats well, in large bowl. Then, add salt, seasonings, and liquid smoke.


Pour on water...

Keep pouring...

Mix VERY well, it'll end up kinda sticky.. Like this.

Then pull out about 12-15 sheets of foil.

Plop these little babies on the foil and then wrap 'em up!

Place on a tray and put in the fridge for 24 hours.
I'll post phase 2 tomorrow! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment as I love hearing from you guys! Please type nice, no rudeness or foul language, and no links.
Thanks!
Ashleigh